6th Grade Beginning Band Class
The band program begins in 6th grade at Harrison Community Schools. 6th Grade band is a year long class that rehearses during school daily. Participation in this group will introduce students to their instruments. The students will learn proper care of their instrument, basic tone production, fundamental music reading skills, essential beginning music theory concepts and music history. There will be two after school performances during their first year; a Holiday Concert in December and a Spring Concert in May. Other performance opportunities may become available and parents will be notified of these possibilities far in advance.
You will need to provide your student with the following items in preparation for band class:
- A quality instrument in great working condition – not just an instrument shaped object
- An Essential Elements 2000 Beginning Band Book 1
- The necessary supplies to keep that instrument working – reeds, valve oil, sticks, mallets, etc.
- Our concert uniform which is black PANTS and our concert uniform polo (we order the polos in bulk at the beginning of the school year).
Your child can obtain an instrument through a variety of methods:
- Purchased from a local Music store such as 'Marshall Music' or 'Herter Music Center'
- Renting from a reputable music store such as 'Marshall Music' or Herter Music Center'
- Buying an instrument from a Pawn Store or Garage Sale is sometimes a great deal and other times gives you great grief
- Get an instrument from a friend, family or neighbor that is no longer using theirs.
Here is a great website with videos demonstrating each instrument for parents and students... http://www.bepartoftheband.com